Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release
Дата
Re: [CORE] postpone next week's release  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, May 30, 2015 at 10:06:52AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> If that means it's stable, +1 from me.
>
> I dispute, on every level, the notion that not releasing a beta means
> that we can't work on things in parallel.  We can work on all of the
> things on the open items list in parallel right now.  We can also
> test.  And in fact, we should test.  It's entirely appropriate to test
> our own stuff before we ask other people to test it.  It's also
> appropriate to fix the things that we already know are broken before
> we ask other people to test it.

Let me share something that people have told me privately but don't want
to state publicly (at least with attribution), and that is that we have
seen great increases in feature development (often funded), without a
corresponding increase development efforts focused on stability.  The
fact Alvaro has had to almost single-handedly fix multi-xact bug until
very recently is testament to that.

The bottom line is that we just can't keep going on like this.  The fact
we put out a release two weeks ago, then need to put out a fix release
for that, but we have more multi-xact bugs to fix and can't decide if we
should do one or two minor releases, and are pushing out an alpha of 9.5
because we know we aren't ready for a beta, just confirms my analysis.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I think bad news is what we
must face.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +

Сообщение: Re: [Proposal] More Vacuum Statistics
Сообщение: Re: [Proposal] More Vacuum Statistics