Re: [Pgbuildfarm] buildfarm olinguito vs python

От Davin M. Potts
Тема Re: [Pgbuildfarm] buildfarm olinguito vs python
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, May 25, 2015 at 04:37:11PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Davin M. Potts" <davin@discontinuity.net> writes:
> > At Alvaro's suggestion, I'm forwarding my questions (see email thread
> > further below) to this list.
>
> > In short, building of PL/Python has been disabled on OpenBSD since 2005.
> > The errors seen at the time (on OpenBSD and FreeBSD, both) may or may
> > not still be an issue with modern builds of Python.  Can someone point
> > me to examples of how these errors manifested themselves?  Has Peter
> > Eisentraut or others poked at this recently enough to tell me this is
> > not worth chasing down?
>
> I'm fairly sure that the errors were blatantly obvious, ie failure to
> build or failure to pass even basic regression tests.  If you can tell
> us that that configure check is inappropriate on modern openbsd, I'd
> be happy to see it go.

With Tom's bit of encouragement, I removed these four lines from the
config/python.m4 file: case $host_os in openbsd*)   AC_MSG_ERROR([threaded Python not supported on this platform])   ;;
esac

Though in truth, I did take the shortcut of not actually regenerating
the configure file from it and instead I simply commented out those same
exact four lines from the configure and did a proper clean build of HEAD.
The net result is that everything passed from configure through check and
the contrib checks too -- to the extent that we have tests for PL/Python,
all of those tests pass with Python 2.7.10 on OpenBSD (olinguito in the
buildfarm).

To verify that I hadn't done something boneheaded, I manually connected
with psql and did a couple of "CREATE FUNCTION ... LANGUAGE plpythonu;"
and exercised those new functions successfully.

PL/Python appears happy and healthy on OpenBSD, as best as I can tell
from the test suites passing and my own manual poking.  I suggest those
four lines specific to OpenBSD can be removed from the configure check.

Though I have only verified this against HEAD, if this change is made
across all the active branches, we will see its impact on olinguito's
buildfarm-builds of those branches too.  Or, I can walk through and
manually test each branch if that's preferred?

Davin