Re: pgtap in our apt repo

От Christoph Berg
Тема Re: pgtap in our apt repo
Дата
Список pgsql-pkg-debian
Re: Magnus Hagander 2015-05-25 <CABUevEzjbawgb_5UtiDuS8gyV3HsG5ERmybvkJNp0RDMSnQ_VA@mail.gmail.com>
> On May 25, 2015 6:56 PM, "Jon Erdman" <jon.erdman@bluetreble.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 25 May 2015 11:31:16 -0500
> > Jim Nasby <Jim.Nasby@BlueTreble.com> wrote:
> >
> > > My $0.02: it probably makes more sense to find a way to teach pgxn
> > > client about pg_cluster & friends and then let people use that to
> > > install PGXN packages.
> >
> > Jim,
> >
> > I don't think that will ever be an accepted (or really viable) solution
> for OSes that use their own package management systems. Think of them mess
> you get into if you let CPAN install a bunch of crap onto your linux box.
> You really really really want your native pkg manager to handle for obvious
> reasons (like OS version upgrades, single list of what's installed, etc).
> >
> > I do like pgxn, but for *nix clones, since they actually *have* sensible
> package management, should always strive to use their own.
>
> +morethanyoucanimagine...
>
> I've fought myself out of those cpan messes more times than I'd like to
> remember, it's really the last resort when all else fails only.
>
> However.
>
> If we could somehow make a reasonable build script that would basically
> take a pgxn package and turn it into a deb or rpm or whatnot with minimum
> effort that would be excellent. Or even just templates for how to do it.
>
> I'm not sure the pgxn format is expressive enough to allow that though -
> does it contain enough data to do something like that?

[Adding the mailing list]

I've thought about writing a dh-make-pgxn (-pgxs?) helper more than
once in the past, but in the end it wouldn't do much more than
producing a bunch of files like under "EXAMPLE" in the pg_buildext
manpage. Plus the fact that most extensions do require some messing
to make the regression tests pass, so the process wouldn't be totally
automatic.

The other idea would be a dh_pgbuildext helper that would hook into
dh(1) to do these build steps. (With the same problem that many
extensions would require at least some manual tweaks.)

If someone actually gives these ideas a try, let me know.

Christoph
--
cb@df7cb.de | http://www.df7cb.de/

Вложения