Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add support for INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING/UPDATE.

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add support for INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING/UPDATE.
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2015-05-20 21:22:08 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> Not to mention that several places in libpq/fe-exec.c should be
> taught about this new tag.  And who-knows-what in other client-side
> libraries.  I am not really sure that it was a good idea to invent
> this command tag.  In fact, I'm pretty sure it was a *bad* idea ---
> what will happen if we ever create a statement actually named UPSERT?
>
> I think we should fix this by ripping out the variant tag, not trying
> to propagate it everywhere it would need to go.  Cute ideas are not
> the same as good ideas.

I'm not particularly worried about conflicting with a potential future
UPSERT command. But I do see no corresponding benefit in having a
differerent command tag, so I'm inclined to agree that ripping it out is
likely the best way forward.

On the other hand, this was noticed because Alvaro just argued that it
*should* have a new command tag. Alvaro, where do you see the advantage?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Сообщение: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add support for INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING/UPDATE.
Сообщение: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Add support for INSERT ... ON CONFLICT DO NOTHING/UPDATE.