Re: pg_upgrade cleanup

От Noah Misch
Тема Re: pg_upgrade cleanup
Дата
Re: pg_upgrade cleanup  (Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 10:06:11PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 09:56:53PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > This patch makes pg_upgrade controldata checks more consistent, and adds
> > a missing check for float8_pass_by_value.
>
> Sorry, I should have mentioned I applied this patch to head.  It isn't
> significant enough to backpatch.

A float8_pass_by_value match is unnecessary, and requiring it creates needless
hassle for users.  Switching between USE_FLOAT8_BYVAL binaries and
!USE_FLOAT8_BYVAL binaries requires an initdb to get different values in
pg_type.typbyval and pg_attribute.attbyval.  pg_upgrade's use of pg_dump to
migrate catalog content addresses that fine.  Note that
check_for_isn_and_int8_passing_mismatch() exists because pg_upgrade has
allowed source and destination clusters to differ in USE_FLOAT8_BYVAL.

The rest of this change is opaque to me.  "More consistent" with what?  The
old use of the "tli" variable sure looked like a bug, considering the variable
was never set to anything but zero.  What is the anticipated behavior change?