Re: pgsql: Improve speed of make check-world

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pgsql: Improve speed of make check-world
Дата
Список pgsql-committers
On Tue, May  5, 2015 at 03:02:50PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Improve speed of make check-world
> >
> > Before, make check-world would create a new temporary installation for
> > each test suite, which is slow and wasteful.  Instead, we now create one
> > test installation that is used by all test suites that are part of a
> > make run.
>
> Maybe I'm confused, but now "make -C doc/src/sgml check" seems to build
> the whole backend; it didn't do so before, and I think that's quite
> pointless.  I take it that's unintended?  Can we get the old behavior
> back?

Yes, I found this odd too.  It is caused by this commit:

    commit dcae5faccab64776376d354decda0017c648bb53
    Author: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>
    Date:   Thu Apr 23 08:59:52 2015 -0400

        Improve speed of make check-world

It basically added a'check' target dependency of 'temp-install' to
Makefile.global.in, which added it to every Makefile containing a
'check' target.

While you can't easily add rule action to an existing target, you can
easily add dependencies by just mentioning the target multiple times,
e.g.

    check: dep1

    check: dep2

    dep1:
        echo 1

    dep2:
        echo 2

Running 'make check' will output '1 2'.

Now, of course many check's need temp-install, but the SGML build does
not.  The attached diff uses a symbol defined in doc/src/sgml/Makefile
(GENERATED_SGML) to supress the temp-install target rule action.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Вложения