Re: recovery_min_delay casting problems lead to busy looping

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: recovery_min_delay casting problems lead to busy looping
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2015-03-23 10:25:48 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > recoveryApplyDelay() does:
> >     TimestampDifference(GetCurrentTimestamp(), recoveryDelayUntilTime,
> >                         &secs, µsecs);
> >
> >     if (secs <= 0 && microsecs <= 0)
> >         break;
> >
> >     elog(DEBUG2, "recovery apply delay %ld seconds, %d milliseconds",
> >          secs, microsecs / 1000);
> >
> >     WaitLatch(&XLogCtl->recoveryWakeupLatch,
> >               WL_LATCH_SET | WL_TIMEOUT | WL_POSTMASTER_DEATH,
> >               secs * 1000L + microsecs / 1000);
> >
> > The problem is that the 'microsecs <= 0' comparison is done while in
> > microsecs, but the sleeping converts to milliseconds. Which will often
> > be 0. I've seen this cause ~15-20 iterations per loop. Annoying, but not
> > terrible.
> >
> > I think we should simply make the abort condition '&& microsecs / 1000
> > <= 0'.
>
> That's a subtle violation of the documented behavior

Would it be? The delay is specified on a millisecond resolution, so not
waiting if below one ms doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

>, although there's
> a good chance nobody would ever care.  What about just changing the
> WaitLatch call to say Max(secs * 1000L + microsecs / 1000, 1)?

I could live with that as well. Although we at least should convert the
elog(DEBUG) to log milliseconds in floating point in that case.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

Сообщение: Re: Display of multi-target-table Modify plan nodes in EXPLAIN
Сообщение: Re: Display of multi-target-table Modify plan nodes in EXPLAIN