Re: MD5 authentication needs help

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: MD5 authentication needs help
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Mar  4, 2015 at 11:36:23AM -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Andres Freund (andres@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:

> > > An increase in "network data sensitivity" also increases the need for
> > > encryption.
> >
> > Ok, I see what you're getting at there, though our existing md5
> > implementation with no lock-out mechanism or ability to deal with
> > hijacking isn't exactly making us all that safe when it comes to network
> > based attacks.  The best part about md5 is that we don't send the user's
> > password over the wire in the clear, the actual challenge/response piece
>                                      ----- here is where I was lost
> > is not considered terribly secure today, nor is the salt+password we use
> > for pg_authid for that matter. :/
>
> Can you please rephrase the last sentence as it doesn't make sense to
> me?

The best part of the existing authentication method we call "md5" is
that the user's password is never sent over the network in the clear.

The challenge/response implementation we have only provides for 4 bytes
of hash (or around four billion possible permutations) which is not very
secure today (as compared to the 16-character base64 salt used in SCRAM,
which is 16^64 or 2^96 instead of 2^32).
Thanks,
    Stephen

Сообщение: Re: MD5 authentication needs help
Сообщение: Re: MD5 authentication needs help