Re: Bootstrap DATA is a pita

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Bootstrap DATA is a pita
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2015-03-04 08:47:44 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> >> Even this promises to vastly increase the number of lines in the file,
> >> and make it harder to compare entries by grepping out some common
> >> substring.  I agree that the current format is a pain in the tail, but
> >> pg_proc.h is >5k lines already.  I don't want it to be 100k lines
> >> instead.
> >
> > Do you have a better suggestion? Sure it'll be a long file, but it still
> > seems vastly superiour to what we have now.
>
> Not really.  What had occurred to me is to try to improve the format
> of the DATA lines (e.g. by allowing names to be used instead of OIDs)

That's a separate patch so far, so if we decide to only want thta we can
do it.

> but that wouldn't allow defaulted fields to be omitted, which is
> certainly a big win.  I wonder whether some home-grown single-line
> format might be better than using a pre-existing format, but I'm not
> too sure it would.

I can't see readability of anything being good unless the column names
are there - we just have too many columns in some of the tables. I think
having more lines is a acceptable price to pay. We can easily start to
split the files at some point if we want, that'd just be a couple lines
of code.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services