Re: Idea: closing the loop for "pg_ctl reload"

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Idea: closing the loop for "pg_ctl reload"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2015-03-03 11:09:29 -0600, Jim Nasby wrote:
> On 3/3/15 9:26 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> >On 2015-03-03 15:21:24 +0000, Greg Stark wrote:
> >>Fwiw this concerns me slightly. I'm sure a lot of people are doing
> >>things like "kill -HUP `cat .../postmaster.pid`" or the equivalent.
> >
> >postmaster.pid already contains considerably more than just the pid. e.g.
> >4071
> >/srv/dev/pgdev-master
> >1425396089
> >5440
> >/tmp
> >localhost
> >   5440001  82345992
>
> If we already have all this extra stuff, why not include an actual error
> message then, or at least the first line of an error (or maybe just swap any
> newlines with spaces)?

It's often several errors and such. I think knowing that it failed and
that you should look into the error log is already quite helpful
already.

Generally we obviously need some status to indicate that the config file
has been reloaded, but that could be easily combined with storing the
error message.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services