Re: express composite type literal as text

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: express composite type literal as text
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Feb 22, 2015 at 12:18:21PM -0800, Eric Hanson wrote:
> Got it.  Ok, I'm reporting this as a bug.  Is this a bug?  Being able to
> always express literals as text is a really valuable assumption to be able
> to rely on.

If I had to guess (I guess someone more authoritative than I will
chime in), I suspect this is a side effect of the change a few years
ago that removed a very large number of automatic typecasts.
Experience with those automatic typecasts revealed that while they
were handy lots of the time, when they failed they did really bad
things.  So the developers dramatically reduced the number of such
cases.  Some convenience was lost (I still get tripped up from time to
time, but I'm not doing Pg work every day), but the overall
reliability of things was increased.  So I'd say it's probably not a
bug.

Andrew Sullivan
ajs@crankycanuck.ca