Re: What's a reasonable maximum number for table partitions?

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: What's a reasonable maximum number for table partitions?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sat, 14 Feb 2015 11:14:10 +1300
Tim Uckun <timuckun@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I used modulo arithmetic how would the query optimizer know which table
> to include and exclude? For example say I did modulo 100 based on the field
> client_id.  I create a base table with the trigger to insert the data into
> the proper child table. Each table has the constraint (client_id % 100) = X
>
> So if I do select from base table where client_id = 10  would postgres know
> to only select from client_table_10? Normally I would always have a
> client_id in my queries so hopefully the this could be very efficient.

Unless the newest versions of PostgreSQL has improved on this, you have to
give the planner just a bit of a hint ... you're query should look like:

SELET ... WHERE client_id = 10 AND client_id % 100 = 10;

The part after the AND looks silly and redundant, but it guarantees that
the planner will consider the partition layout when it plans the query,
and in every test that I've run the result will be that the planner only
looks at the one child table.

--
Bill Moran