Re: Updating copyright notices to 2015 for PGDG

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Updating copyright notices to 2015 for PGDG
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan  6, 2015 at 06:12:30PM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > >
> > > hmm is it intentional that the commit also changed other files?
> > >
> > > looks like the commited patch added newlines to various files that had
> > > none before for example:
> >
> > Specifically, these files had no newline after the last line in the
> > file.
>
> I don't think we have any files that require not to have a trailing
> newline.  Do we need an explicit check against it?  Seems doubtful, but
> then if the need arises, we will break it each year and who knows if
> anybody will be vigilant enough to notice.  Stefan caught it this time,
> but who would normally skim 18000 lines of supposedly mechanical diff
> looking for issues?  (How did you catch this in the first place?)

I am guessing pgindent would also add a newline, but since the spec
files aren't C files, pgindent doesn't tough them.

> This makes me wonder however how wise it is to update the copyright
> notices in every single file in the repo.  Why do we need this?  Why not
> abolish the practice and live forever with most files having copyright
> 2015?  (Only new files would have newer years in their copyright
> notices, I guess.)  Does this provide us with any kind of protection,
> and if so against what, and how does it protect us?  Since we have a
> very clean git history which shows us the exact provenance of every
> single line of source code, and we have excellent mail archives that
> show where each line came from for all development in the last decade,
> this single line of (C) boilerplate in each file seems completely
> pointless.

I think the copyright update is more of a consistency thing, rather than
something that has a legal requirement.  It is hard to see why we would
stop doing it just to preserve missing trailing newlines we don't even
know we need.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +