Re: Compression of full-page-writes

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Compression of full-page-writes
Дата
Re: Compression of full-page-writes  (Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 01:27:44PM +0100, Andres Freund wrote:

> > > Was this point addressed?
> > Compressing the whole record is interesting for multi-insert records,
> > but as we need to keep the compressed data in a pre-allocated buffer
> > until WAL is written, we can only compress things within a given size
> > range. The point is, even if we define a  lower bound, compression is
> > going to perform badly with an application that generates for example
> > many small records that are just higher than the lower bound...
> > Unsurprisingly for small records this was bad:
>
> So why are you bringing it up? That's not an argument for anything,
> except not doing it in such a simplistic way.

I still don't understand the value of adding WAL compression, given the
high CPU usage and minimal performance improvement.  The only big
advantage is WAL storage, but again, why not just compress the WAL file
when archiving.

I thought we used to see huge performance benefits from WAL compression,
but not any more?  Has the UPDATE WAL compression removed that benefit?
Am I missing something?

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +