Re: BUG #11986: psql uses pager inside Emacs shell buffer (not a terminal)

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: BUG #11986: psql uses pager inside Emacs shell buffer (not a terminal)
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 09:34:34AM +0000, eda@waniasset.com wrote:

> Bug reference:      11986
> Logged by:          Ed Avis
> Email address:      eda@waniasset.com
> PostgreSQL version: 9.3.5
> Operating system:   Linux (Fedora 20)
>
> GNU Emacs lets you run some commands inside Emacs - start it and do M-x
> shell (that is, Alt-x, then type shell, then press enter).
>
> This 'shell buffer' is interactive but it is not really a terminal, since it
> doesn't support the normal terminal movement commands.  If you try to use a
> pager program such as 'more' or 'less' it tends to get in the way.  Better
> to print all of the output and let Emacs handle scrolling through it.
>
> It would be friendler for psql to be aware of this and not use a pager if
> running inside an Emacs shell buffer, or other dumb terminal: check if $TERM
> is set to 'dumb'.

This is an interesting idea.  What are the odds that a "dumb" terminal
is inside Emacs?  Is there another environment variable set by Emacs
that we can check?  'set' should show you all the defined shell
variables.

  + Everyone has their own god. +