Re: Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Proposal: Log inability to lock pages during vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2014-10-20 19:43:38 -0500, Jim Nasby wrote:
> [...]
assumption),it doesn't hurt anything. If it turns out our assumption is wrong, then we'll actually be able to fin> that
out.:)
> >It does happen, and not infrequently. Just not enough pages to normally
> >cause significant bloat. The most likely place where it happens is very
> >small tables that all connections hit with a high frequency. Starting to
> >issue high volume log spew for a nonexistant problem isn't helping.
>
> How'd you determine that? Is there some way to measure this?

You'd seen individual pages with too old dead rows in them.

> >If you're super convinced this is urgent then add it as a*single*
> >datapoint inside the existing messages. But I think there's loads of
> >stuff in vacuum logging that are more important this.
>
> See my original proposal; at it's most intrusive this would issue one
> warning per (auto)vacuum if it was over a certain threshold.

Which would vastly increase the log output for setups with small tables
and a nonzero log_autovacuum_min_duration.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services