Re: On partitioning

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: On partitioning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 11:56:07AM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Prompted by a comment in the UPDATE/LIMIT thread, I saw Marko Tiikkaja
> reference Tom's post
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1598.1399826841@sss.pgh.pa.us
> which mentions the possibility of a different partitioning
> implementation than what we have so far.  As it turns out, I've been
> thinking about partitioning recently, so I thought I would share what
> I'm thinking so that others can poke holes.  My intention is to try to
> implement this as soon as possible.

I realize there hasn't been much progress on this thread, but I wanted
to chime in to say I think our current partitioning implementation is
too heavy administratively, error-prone, and performance-heavy.

I support a redesign of this feature.  I think the current mixture of
inheritance, triggers/rules, and check constraints can be properly
characterized as a Frankenstein solution, where we paste together parts
until we get something that works --- our partitioning badly needs a
redesign.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +