Re: Is analyze_new_cluster.sh still useful?

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Is analyze_new_cluster.sh still useful?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug  4, 2014 at 10:17:40AM +0200, Christoph Berg wrote:
> Re: Bruce Momjian 2014-07-29 <20140729094234.GC13958@momjian.us>
> > On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 05:15:05PM +0200, Christoph Berg wrote:
> > > Another nitpick here: What pg_upgrade outputs doesn't even work on
> > > most systems, you need to ./analyze_new_cluster.sh or "sh
> > > analyze_new_cluster.sh".
> >
> > Well, the output is:
> >
> >     Optimizer statistics are not transferred by pg_upgrade so,
> >     once you start the new server, consider running:
> >         analyze_new_cluster.sh
> >
> >     Running this script will delete the old cluster's data files:
> >         delete_old_cluster.sh
> >
> > It is not really telling you _how_ to run them.  Would adding a ./
> > prefix help?
>
> I think it would help in hinting the user that these are not
> system-wide commands in $PATH but rather scripts in the current
> directory.
>
> There's also a case for prefixing them with the full path, Debian's
> pg_upgradecluster wrapper drops these scripts in a new subdirectory in
> /var/log/postgresql/ along with the log files. Possibly other
> automation frameworks do likewise. (Though the frameworks will likely
> make delete_old_cluster.sh redundant.)

I have applied a patch to 9.5 to output "./" as a prefix for Unix script
file names.  While this also works on Windows, it is likely to be
confusing.  The new Unix output is:
Upgrade Complete----------------Optimizer statistics are not transferred by pg_upgrade so,once you start the new
server,consider running:    ./analyze_new_cluster.shRunning this script will delete the old cluster's data files:
./delete_old_cluster.sh

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +