Re: pgaudit - an auditing extension for PostgreSQL

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: pgaudit - an auditing extension for PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Simon,

* Simon Riggs (simon@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> On 31 July 2014 22:34, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > There was a pretty good thread regarding reloptions and making it so
> > extensions could use them which seemed to end up with a proposal to turn
> > 'security labels' into a more generic metadata capability.  Using that
> > kind of a mechanism would at least address one of my concerns about
> > using reloptions (specifically that they're specific to relations and
> > don't account for the other objects in the system).  Unfortunately, the
> > flexibility desired for auditing is more than just "all actions of this
> > role" or "all actions on this table" but also "actions of this role on
> > this table", which doesn't fit as well.
>
> Yes, there is a requirement, in some cases, for per role/relation
> metadata. Grant and ACLs are a good example.
>
> I spoke with Robert about a year ago that the patch he was most proud
> of was the reloptions abstraction. Whatever we do in the future,
> keeping metadata in a slightly more abstract form is very useful.

Agreed.

> I hope we can get pgAudit in as a module for 9.5. I also hope that it
> will stimulate the requirements/funding of further work in this area,
> rather than squash it. My feeling is we have more examples of feature
> sets that grow over time (replication, view handling, hstore/JSONB
> etc) than we have examples of things languishing in need of attention
> (partitioning).

I've come around to this also (which I think I commented on
previously..), as it sounds like the upgrade concerns I was worried
about can be addressed, and having pgAudit would certainly be better
than not having any kind of auditing support.
Thanks,
    Stephen