Re: Replication identifiers, take 3

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Replication identifiers, take 3
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2014-09-26 10:40:37 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 10:21 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > As explained above this isn't happening on the level of individual AMs.
>
> Well, that's even worse.  You want to grab 100% of the available
> generic bitspace applicable to all record types for purposes specific
> to logical decoding (and it's still not really enough bits).

I don't think that's a fair characterization. Right now it's available
to precisely nobody. You can't put any data in there in *any* way. It
just has been sitting around unused for at least 8 years.

> One question I have is what the structure of the names should be.  It
> seems some coordination could be needed here.  I mean, suppose BDR
> uses bdr:$NODENAME and Slony uses
> $SLONY_CLUSTER_NAME:$SLONY_INSTANCE_NAME and EDB's xDB replication
> server uses xdb__$NODE_NAME.  That seems like it would be sad.  Maybe
> we should decide that names ought to be of the form
> <replication-solution>.<further-period-separated-components> or
> something like that.

I've also wondered about that. Perhaps we simply should have an
additional 'name' column indicating the replication solution?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

Сообщение: Re: proposal: rounding up time value less than its unit.
Сообщение: Re: proposal: rounding up time value less than its unit.