Re: jsonb format is pessimal for toast compression

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: jsonb format is pessimal for toast compression
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Bruce Momjian wrote:

>     3.  9.3 multi-xact bugs spooked us into being more careful

Uh.  Multixact changes in 9.3 were infinitely more invasive than the
jsonb changes will ever be.  a) they touched basic visibility design and routines,
which are complex, understood by very few people, and have remained
mostly unchanged for ages; b) they changed on-disk format for an
underlying support structure, requiring pg_upgrade to handle the
conversion; c) they added new catalog infrastructure to keep track of
required freezing; d) they introduced new uint32 counters subject to
wraparound; e) they introduced a novel user of slru.c with 5-char long
filenames; f) they messed with tuple locking protocol and EvalPlanQual
logic for traversing update chains.  Maybe I'm forgetting others.

JSONB has none of these properties.  As far as I can see, the only hairy
issue here (other than getting Josh Berkus to actually test the proposed
patches) is that JSONB is changing on-disk format; but we're avoiding
most issues there by dictating that people with existing JSONB databases
need to pg_dump them, i.e. there is no conversion step being written for
pg_upgrade.

It's good to be careful; it's even better to be more careful.  I too
have learned a lesson there.

Anyway I have no opinion on the JSONB stuff, other than considering that
ignoring performance for large arrays and large objects seems to run
counter to the whole point of JSONB in the first place (and of course
failing to compress is part of that, too.)