Re: Extending COPY TO

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Extending COPY TO
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrea,

* Andrea Riciputi (andrea.riciputi@gmail.com) wrote:
> My idea was to extend the COPY TO command to accept an EOL option as it already does with the DELIMITER option. To
keepit simple we can limit the EOL choice to CR, LF or CRLF to avoid unusual output, and also keep the current
behaviourwhen no EOL option is given. I was also wondering if an EOL option could be useful also for the text output
formator not.

Have you considered using COPY TO's 'PROGRAM' option to simply pipe the
output through unix2dos..?

> I spent the weekend reading the COPY command source code and its grammar definition and I think I can patch it by
myself,submit the patch here and wait for your review. However before starting this in my spare time I wanted to know
ifyou, as the PG hackers community, would be against a similar proposal for any reason, and if so why.

I'm not particularly against it, though if it can be solved with the
existing 'PROGRAM' capability then it may not make sense to complicate
the COPY code further.
Thanks!
    Stephen