Re: CRC algorithm (was Re: [REVIEW] Re: Compression of full-page-writes)

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: CRC algorithm (was Re: [REVIEW] Re: Compression of full-page-writes)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2014-09-12 23:03:00 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 09/12/2014 10:54 PM, Abhijit Menon-Sen wrote:
> >At 2014-09-12 22:38:01 +0300, hlinnakangas@vmware.com wrote:
> >>
> >>We probably should consider switching to a faster CRC algorithm again,
> >>regardless of what we do with compression.
> >
> >As it happens, I'm already working on resurrecting a patch that Andres
> >posted in 2010 to switch to zlib's faster CRC implementation.
>
> As it happens, I also wrote an implementation of Slice-by-4 the other day
> :-). Haven't gotten around to post it, but here it is.
>
> What algorithm does zlib use for CRC calculation?

Also slice-by-4, with a manually unrolled loop doing 32bytes at once, using
individual slice-by-4's. IIRC I tried and removing that slowed things
down overall. What it also did was move crc to a function. I'm not sure
why I did it that way, but it really might be beneficial - if you look
at profiles today there's sometimes icache/decoding stalls...

Hm. Let me look:
http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/201005202227.49990.andres%40anarazel.de

Ick, there's quite some debugging leftovers ;)

I think it might be a good idea to also switch the polynom at the same
time. I really really think we should, when the hardware supports, use
the polynom that's available in SSE4.2. It has similar properties, can
implemented in software just the same...

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services