Re: On partitioning

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: On partitioning
Дата
Re: On partitioning  (Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2014-08-29 20:12:16 +0200, Hannu Krosing wrote:
> It would need to replace plain tid (pagenr, tupnr) with triple of (partid,
> pagenr, tupnr).
>
> Cross-partition indexes are especially needed if we want to allow putting
> UNIQUE constraints on non-partition-key columns.

I actually don't think this is necessary. I'm pretty sure that you can
build an efficient and correct version of unique constraints with
several underlying indexes in different partitions each. The way
exclusion constraints are implemented imo is a good guide.

I personally think that implementing cross partition indexes has a low
enough cost/benefit ratio that I doubt it's wise to tackle it anytime
soon.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services