== PostgreSQL Weekly News - June 29 2014 ==

От David Fetter
Тема == PostgreSQL Weekly News - June 29 2014 ==
Дата
Список pgsql-announce
== PostgreSQL Weekly News - June 29 2014 ==

== PostgreSQL Product News ==

PgBackMan 1.0.0, a tool for managing PostgreSQL logical backups
created with pg_dump and pg_dumpall, released.
http://www.pgbackman.org/

== PostgreSQL Jobs for June ==

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2014-06/threads.php

== PostgreSQL Local ==

Char(14) and PGday UK will be held July 8 and 9, 2014.
http://www.char14.info
http://postgresqlusergroup.org.uk/

PgDay Portland, Oregon 2014 will be held Saturday September 6, 2014.
https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PDXPUGDay2014

Postgres Open 2014 will be in Chicago, IL, USA, September 17-19.  The
CfP is open!
http://postgresopen.org/2014/callforpapers/

The sixth PGDay Cubano be held on 13 and 14 October 2014 in Habana.
https://postgresql.uci.cu/?p=380

PostgreSQL Conference Europe 2014 will be held on October 21-24 in
Madrid, Spain, at the Hotel Miguel Angel.
http://2014.pgconf.eu/

== PostgreSQL in the News ==

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm Pacific time.
Please send English language ones to david@fetter.org, German language
to pwn@pgug.de, Italian language to pwn@itpug.org.  Spanish language
to pwn@arpug.com.ar.

== Applied Patches ==

Heikki Linnakangas pushed:

- Fix bug in WAL_DEBUG.  The record header was not copied correctly to
  the buffer that was passed to the rm_desc function. Broken by my
  rm_desc signature refactoring patch.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/85ba0748ed5aa069643887af84fc28c380b1e815

- Improve tab-completion of DROP and ALTER ENABLE/DISABLE on triggers
  and rules.  At "DROP RULE/TRIGGER triggername ON ...", tab-complete
  tables that have a rule/trigger with that name.  At "ALTER TABLE
  tablename ENABLE/DISABLE TRIGGER/RULE ...", tab-complete to
  rules/triggers on that table. Previously, we would tab-complete to
  all rules or triggers, not just those that are on that table.  Also,
  filter out internal RI triggers from the list. You can't DROP them,
  and enabling/disabling them is such a rare (and dangerous) operation
  that it seems better to hide them.  Andreas Karlsson, reviewed by
  Ian Barwick.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/631e7f6b4e0629077408d3f8caf282627765f3f0

- Don't allow foreign tables with OIDs.  The syntax doesn't let you
  specify "WITH OIDS" for foreign tables, but it was still possible
  with default_with_oids=true. But the rest of the system, including
  pg_dump, isn't prepared to handle foreign tables with OIDs properly.
  Backpatch down to 9.1, where foreign tables were introduced. It's
  possible that there are databases out there that already have
  foreign tables with OIDs. There isn't much we can do about that, but
  at least we can prevent them from being created in the future.
  Patch by Etsuro Fujita, reviewed by Hadi Moshayedi.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a87a7dc8b64a99e5e497591dddb37b3ecdfae2eb

Fujii Masao pushed:

- Add missing closing parenthesis into max_replication_slots doc.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/394e05996fbb0621cf51c9d99891ca99b0eb2ff2

- Fix typo in replication slot function doc.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f8ad8bd47306d4c34ab8f7cc6f38225b12f18a3c

- Remove obsolete example of CSV log file name from log_filename
  document.  7380b63 changed log_filename so that epoch was not
  appended to it when no format specifier is given. But the example of
  CSV log file name with epoch still left in log_filename document.
  This commit removes such obsolete example.  This commit also
  documents the defaults of log_directory and log_filename.  Backpatch
  to all supported versions.  Christoph Berg
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/de42ed401a9622917b09f549d80946dda35c5f3f

Robert Haas pushed:

- Check for interrupts during tuple-insertion loops.  Normally, this
  won't matter too much; but if I/O is really slow, for example
  because the system is overloaded, we might write many pages before
  checking for interrupts.  A single toast insertion might write up to
  1GB of data, and a multi-insert could write hundreds of tuples (and
  their corresponding TOAST data).
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c922353b1c7e7fe5fa506664ccf0c87a0abfdda2

Bruce Momjian pushed:

- pg_upgrade:  remove pg_multixact files left by initdb.  This fixes a
  bug that caused vacuum to fail when the '0000' files left by initdb
  were accessed as part of vacuum's cleanup of old pg_multixact files.
  Backpatch through 9.3
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0f7482733a90a2e0d8917a41d823306975f291ee

Tom Lane pushed:

- Fix handling of nested JSON objects in json_populate_recordset and
  friends.  populate_recordset_object_start() improperly created a new
  hash table (overwriting the link to the existing one) if called at
  nest levels greater than one.  This resulted in previous fields not
  appearing in the final output, as reported by Matti Hameister in bug
  #10728.  In 9.4 the problem also affects json_to_recordset.  This
  perhaps missed detection earlier because the default behavior is to
  throw an error for nested objects: you have to pass use_json_as_text
  = true to see the problem.  In addition, fix query-lifespan leakage
  of the hashtable created by json_populate_record().  This is pretty
  much the same problem recently fixed in dblink: creating an
  intended-to-be-temporary context underneath the executor's per-tuple
  context isn't enough to make it go away at the end of the tuple
  cycle, because MemoryContextReset is not
  MemoryContextResetAndDeleteChildren.  Michael Paquier and Tom Lane
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/57d8c1270e1538d1f02e4fa1cdb1d8ded82f7c70

- Cosmetic improvements in jsonfuncs.c.  Re-pgindent, remove a lot of
  random vertical whitespace, remove useless (if not
  counterproductive) inline markings, get rid of unnecessary
  zero-padding of strings for hashtable searches.  No functional
  changes.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8d2d7ad5aba6fdabd58a2a829038596f48cae723

- Rationalize error messages within jsonfuncs.c.  I noticed that the
  functions in jsonfuncs.c sometimes printed error messages that
  claimed I'd called some other function.  Investigation showed that
  this was from repurposing code into "worker" functions without
  taking much care as to whether it would mention the right SQL-level
  function if it threw an error.  Moreover, there was a weird mismash
  of messages that contained a fixed function name, messages that used
  %s for a function name, and messages that constructed a function
  name out of spare parts, like "json%s_populate_record" (which, quite
  aside from being ugly as sin, wasn't even sufficient to cover all
  the cases).  This would put an undue burden on our long-suffering
  translators.  Standardize on inserting the SQL function name with %s
  so as to reduce the number of translatable strings, and pass
  function names around as needed to make sure we can report the right
  one.  Fix up some gratuitous variations in wording, too.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/798e2357905f759913166d4f5be249e76a84c662

- Forward-patch regression test for "could not find pathkey item to
  sort".  Commit a87c729153e372f3731689a7be007bc2b53f1410 already
  fixed the bug this is checking for, but the regression test case it
  added didn't cover this scenario.  Since we managed to miss the fact
  that there was a bug at all, it seems like a good idea to propagate
  the extra test case forward to HEAD.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/344eed91e9d5bfea698b30351abde69ea4e893a8

- Get rid of bogus separate pg_proc entries for json_extract_path
  operators.  These should not have existed to begin with, but there
  was apparently some misunderstanding of the purpose of the
  opr_sanity regression test item that checks for operator
  implementation functions with their own comments.  The idea there is
  to check for unintentional violations of the rule that operator
  implementation functions shouldn't be documented separately .... but
  for these functions, that is in fact what we want, since the
  variadic option is useful and not accessible via the operator
  syntax.  Get rid of the extra pg_proc entries and fix the regression
  test and documentation to be explicit about what we're doing here.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f71136eeeb5c6a234e19a245db7ae1484fc7bf4f

- Disallow pushing volatile qual expressions down into DISTINCT
  subqueries.  A WHERE clause applied to the output of a subquery with
  DISTINCT should theoretically be applied only once per distinct row;
  but if we push it into the subquery then it will be evaluated at
  each row before duplicate elimination occurs.  If the qual is
  volatile this can give rise to observably wrong results, so don't do
  that.  While at it, refactor a little bit to allow
  subquery_is_pushdown_safe to report more than one kind of
  restrictive condition without indefinitely expanding its argument
  list.  Although this is a bug fix, it seems unwise to back-patch it
  into released branches, since it might de-optimize plans for queries
  that aren't giving any trouble in practice.  So apply to 9.4 but not
  further back.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1147035203a47a424b2399fc74829d097b7061e4

- Allow pushdown of WHERE quals into subqueries with window functions.
  We can allow this even without any specific knowledge of the
  semantics of the window function, so long as pushed-down quals will
  either accept every row in a given window partition, or reject every
  such row.  Because window functions act only within a partition,
  such a case can't result in changing the window functions' outputs
  for any surviving row.  Eliminating entire partitions in this way
  obviously can reduce the cost of the window-function computations
  substantially.  The fly in the ointment is that it's hard to be
  entirely sure whether this is true for an arbitrary qual condition.
  This patch allows pushdown if (a) the qual references only
  partitioning columns, and (b) the qual contains no volatile
  functions.  We are at risk of incorrect results if the qual can
  produce different answers for values that the partitioning equality
  operator sees as equal.  While it's not hard to invent cases for
  which that can happen, it seems to seldom be a problem in practice,
  since no one has complained about a similar assumption that we've
  had for many years with respect to DISTINCT.  The potential
  performance gains seem to be worth the risk.  David Rowley, reviewed
  by Vik Fearing; some credit is due also to Thomas Mayer who did
  considerable preliminary investigation.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d222585a9f7a18f2d793785c82be4c877b90c461

- Remove use_json_as_text options from
  json_to_record/json_populate_record.  The "false" case was really
  quite useless since all it did was to throw an error; a definition
  not helped in the least by making it the default.  Instead let's
  just have the "true" case, which emits nested objects and arrays in
  JSON syntax.  We might later want to provide the ability to emit
  sub-objects in Postgres record or array syntax, but we'd be best off
  to drive that off a check of the target field datatype, not a
  separate argument.  For the functions newly added in 9.4, we can
  just remove the flag arguments outright.  We can't do that for
  json_populate_record[set], which already existed in 9.3, but we can
  ignore the argument and always behave as if it were "true".  It
  helps that the flag arguments were optional and not documented in
  any useful fashion anyway.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a749a23d7af4dba9b3468076ec561d2cbf69af09

Alvaro Herrera pushed:

- Don't allow relminmxid to go backwards during VACUUM FULL.  We were
  allowing a table's pg_class.relminmxid value to move backwards when
  heaps were swapped by VACUUM FULL or CLUSTER.  There is a similar
  protection against relfrozenxid going backwards, which we neglected
  to clone when the multixact stuff was rejiggered by commit
  0ac5ad5134f276.  Backpatch to 9.3, where relminmxid was introduced.
  As reported by Heikki in
  http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/52401AEA.9000608@vmware.com
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b7e51d9c06e6a0da50abbbd0603ecb80f0b6f02b

- Have multixact be truncated by checkpoint, not vacuum.  Instead of
  truncating pg_multixact at vacuum time, do it only at checkpoint
  time.  The reason for doing it this way is twofold: first, we want
  it to delete only segments that we're certain will not be required
  if there's a crash immediately after the removal; and second, we
  want to do it relatively often so that older files are not left
  behind if there's an untimely crash.  Per my proposal in
  http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20140626044519.GJ7340@eldon.alvh.no-ip.org
  we now execute the truncation in the checkpointer process rather
  than as part of vacuum.  Vacuum is in only charge of maintaining in
  shared memory the value to which it's possible to truncate the
  files; that value is stored as part of checkpoints also, and so upon
  recovery we can reuse the same value to re-execute truncate and
  reset the oldest-value-still-safe-to-use to one known to remain
  after truncation.  Per bug reported by Jeff Janes in the course of
  his tests involving bug #8673.  While at it, update some comments
  that hadn't been updated since multixacts were changed.  Backpatch
  to 9.3, where persistency of pg_multixact files was introduced by
  commit 0ac5ad5134f2.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f741300c90141ee274f19a13629ae03a9806b598

- Fix broken Assert() introduced by 8e9a16ab8f7f0e58.  Don't assert
  MultiXactIdIsRunning if the multi came from a tuple that had been
  share-locked and later copied over to the new cluster by pg_upgrade.
  Doing that causes an error to be raised unnecessarily:
  MultiXactIdIsRunning is not open to the possibility that its
  argument came from a pg_upgraded tuple, and all its other callers
  are already checking; but such multis cannot, obviously, have
  transactions still running, so the assert is pointless.  Noticed
  while investigating the bogus pg_multixact/offsets/0000 file left
  over by pg_upgrade, as reported by Andres Freund in
  http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20140530121631.GE25431@alap3.anarazel.de
  Backpatch to 9.3, as the commit that introduced the buglet.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b2770576486265c2ce35b64e875028672a3bb7b5

Andres Freund pushed:

- Remove Alpha and Tru64 support.  Support for running postgres on
  Alpha hasn't been tested for a long while. Due to Alpha's uniquely
  lax cache coherency model it's a hard to develop for platform
  (especially blindly!) and thought to be unlikely to currently work
  correctly.  As Alpha is the only supported architecture for Tru64
  drop support for it as well. Tru64's support has ended 2012 and it
  has been in maintenance-only mode for much longer.  Also remove
  stray references to __ksr__ and ultrix defines.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a6d488cb538c8761658f0f7edfc40cecc8c29f2d

- Add cluster_name GUC which is included in process titles if set.
  When running several postgres clusters on one OS instance it's often
  inconveniently hard to identify which "postgres" process belongs to
  which postgres instance.  Add the cluster_name GUC, whose value will
  be included as part of the process titles if set. With that
  processes can more easily identified using tools like 'ps'.  To
  avoid problems with encoding mismatches between postgresql.conf,
  consoles, and individual databases replace non-ASCII chars in the
  name with question marks. The length is limited to NAMEDATALEN to
  make it less likely to truncate important information at the end of
  the status.  Thomas Munro, with some adjustments by me and review by
  a host of people.
  http://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/51adcaa0df81da5e94b582d47de64ebb17129937

== Rejected Patches (for now) ==

No one was disappointed this week :-)

== Pending Patches ==

rohtodeveloper sent in a patch to make PostgreSQL more compatible with
MS SQL Server.

Jeff Janes sent in another revision of a patch to enable tab
completion for setting search_path in psql.

David Rowley sent in two more revisions of a patch to allow removal of
certain cases of LEFT JOIN.

Furuya Osamu and Fujii Masao traded patches to add a synchronous mode
to pg_receivexlog.

Abhijit Menon-Sen sent in a patch to add a pg_audit contrib module.

Pavel Stehule, Petr (PJMODOS) Jelinek, and Abhijit Menon-Sen traded
patches to add --help-variables to psql.

Pavan Deolasee and Heikki Linnakangas traded patches to fix a bug in
SP-GiST.

David Rowley sent in two more revisions of a patch to allow NOT IN to
use anti-JOINs.

Fabrízio de Royes Mello sent in two revisions of a patch to allow
pg_filedump to work in PostgreSQL 9.4.

John Lumby sent in another revision of a patch to allow extended
prefetching using asynchronous I/O where available.

Amit Kapila sent in another revision of a patch to help scale shared
buffer eviction.

Pavel Stehule sent in another revision of a patch to allow logging
only failed queries in psql.

Ian Lawrence Barwick sent in another revision of a patch to add
RETURNING PRIMARY KEY.

Dilip Kumar sent in two more revisions of a patch to allow vacuumdb to
use >1 core.

Vik Fearing sent in three revisions of a patch to enable ALTER SYSTEM
RESET.

Andres Freund sent in another revision of a patch to do atomic
operations in a more systematic way based on available hardware.

Fabrízio de Royes Mello sent in another revision of a patch to enable
ALTER TABLE ... SET LOGGED.

Andreas Karlsson sent in a patch to fix a bug in his prior patch to
allow using SChannel instead of OpenSSL for SSL.

Michael Paquier sent in another revision of a patch to extend MSVC
scripts to support --with-extra-version.

Petr (PJMODOS) Jelinek sent in another revision of a patch to support
built-in binning functions.

Michael Paquier sent in two more revisions of a patch to fix some WAL
replay bugs.

Andres Freund sent in another revision of a patch to simulate memory
barriers with spinlocks for platforms lacking the former.

Petr (PJMODOS) Jelinek sent in two more revisions of a patch to allow
setting a new system identifier using pg_resetxlog.

Vik Fearing sent in another revision of a patch to allowing SQL access
for setting database attributes.

Tomas Vondra sent in four revisions of a patch to fix an issue where
bad estimation together with large work_mem generates slow hash joins.

Kyotaro HORIGUCHI sent in a patch to enable pg_resetxlog to clear
backup start/end locations.

Rajeev Rastogi sent in another revision of a patch to enable
autonomous transactions.

Noah Misch sent in a patch to fix an issue where pgstat_heap()
consults freed memory.

Asbjørn Sloth Tønnesen sent in three revisions of a patch to add tau,
(a.k.a. 2 pi) to PostgreSQL.

David Fetter sent in a patch to implement a C-based trigger function
atop Kevin Grittner's patch to enable row access in per-statement
AFTER triggers.

Pavel Stehule sent in a patch to allows ignoring nulls in the
row_to_json() function.

Matheus de Oliveira sent in a patch to allow using a real temporary
tablespace.

Pavel Stehule sent in another revision of a patch to enable psql
unicode border line styles.

Mohammad Alhashash and Abhijit Menon-Sen traded patches to allow empty
targets in unaccent dictionary.

Kevin Grittner sent in another revision of a patch to send transaction
commit/rollback stats to the stats collector unconditionally.

Thomas Munro sent in another revision of a patch to to implement SKIP
LOCKED DATA.

В списке pgsql-announce по дате отправления: