Re: pg_upgrade < 9.3 -> >=9.3 misses a step around multixacts

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_upgrade < 9.3 -> >=9.3 misses a step around multixacts
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Jun 20, 2014 at 02:07:25PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2014 at 09:06:54PM -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > > Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > > Since I was wrong, there is no point in further research here.  Anyway
> > > the last file before wrapping around in pg_multixact/members is FFFF.
> >
> > Oops, I meant the last file before wrap in pg_multixact/offsets is FFFF,
> > which is what we're talking about in this thread.
> >
> > For members it's 14078, but it's not relevant here.
>
> OK, so the next questions is, what will the minor-release-note query we
> give users to test this look like?  Do we expect no gaps in numbering?
> Is it enough to test for the existance of '0000' and lack of '0001' and
> 'FFFF'?  Basically, if we expect no gaps in normal numbering, then a
> '0000' with no number after it and no wrap-around number before it means
> the '0000' is left over from initdb and can be removed.

Assuming this is true, here is a query we can put in the next 9.3 minor
release notes to tell users if they need to remove the '0000' file:

    WITH list(file) AS
    (
            SELECT * FROM pg_ls_dir('pg_multixact/offsets')
    )
    SELECT  EXISTS (SELECT * FROM list WHERE file = '0000') AND
            NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM list WHERE file = '0001') AND
            NOT EXISTS (SELECT * FROM list WHERE file = 'FFFF') AND
            EXISTS (SELECT * FROM list WHERE file != '0000')
            AS file_removal_needed;

Do they need to remove the members/0000 file too?

  + Everyone has their own god. +