Re: Proposal for CSN based snapshots

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: Proposal for CSN based snapshots
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, May 15, 2014 at 10:06:32PM +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> > If the larger clog size is a show-stopper (and I'm not sure I have an
> > intelligent opinion on that just yet), one way to get around the
> > problem would be to summarize CLOG entries after-the-fact.  Once an
> > XID precedes the xmin of every snapshot, we don't need to know the
> > commit LSN any more.  So we could read the old pg_clog files and write
> > new summary files.  Since we don't need to care about subcommitted
> > transactions either, we could get by with just 1 bit per transaction,
> > 1 = committed, 0 = aborted.  Once we've written and fsync'd the
> > summary files, we could throw away the original files.  That might
> > leave us with a smaller pg_clog than what we have today.
>
> I think the easiest way for now would be to have pg_clog with the same
> format as today and a rangewise much smaller pg_csn storing the lsns
> that are needed. That'll leave us with pg_upgrade'ability without
> needing to rewrite pg_clog during the upgrade.

Yes, I like the idea of storing the CSN separately.  One reason the
2-bit clog is so good is that we know we have atomic 1-byte writes on
all platforms.  Can we assume atomic 64-bit writes?

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +

Сообщение: Re: buildfarm animals and 'snapshot too old'
Сообщение: Re: buildfarm animals and 'snapshot too old'