Re: proposal: Set effective_cache_size to greater of .conf value, shared_buffers

On 2014-05-07 10:07:07 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> In the meantime, it seems like there is an emerging consensus that nobody
> much likes the existing auto-tuning behavior for effective_cache_size,
> and that we should revert that in favor of just increasing the fixed
> default value significantly.  I see no problem with a value of say 4GB;
> that's very unlikely to be worse than the pre-9.4 default (128MB) on any
> modern machine.
>
> Votes for or against?

+1 for increasing it to 4GB and remove the autotuning. I don't like the
current integration into guc.c much and a new static default doesn't
seem to be worse than the current autotuning.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

Сообщение: Re: proposal: Set effective_cache_size to greater of .conf value, shared_buffers
Сообщение: Re: proposal: Set effective_cache_size to greater of .conf value, shared_buffers