Re: pgaudit - an auditing extension for PostgreSQL

От Abhijit Menon-Sen
Тема Re: pgaudit - an auditing extension for PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
At 2014-05-02 14:22:23 -0400, sfrost@snowman.net wrote:

> I'm aware and I really am not convinced that pushing all of this to
> contrib modules using the hooks is the right approach- for one thing,
> it certainly doesn't seem to me that we've actually gotten a lot of
> traction from people to actually make use of them and keep them
> updated.

For what it's worth, I greatly appreciate *having* the hooks. Without
them, it would have been much more difficult to prototype pgaudit, and
it would have been impossible to do so in a way that could be used with
9.3/9.4.

As for whether auditing as a feature *should* be an extension, I do not
have a strong opinion yet. If a consensus formed around a better design
in-core, I certainly wouldn't object.

> I'm rather unconvinced that having to go, independently, update the
> contrib modules to understand each new object is going to be a
> terribly workable long-term solution.

(I am not expressing any opinion at this time on this larger question.)

> having to combine event triggers with various hooks just doesn't
> strike me as a great design.

Suggestions are welcome, but I have to say that I'm not a big fan of
reinventing what event trigger give us in the way of deparsing either.

-- Abhijit