Re: Decrease MAX_BACKENDS to 2^16

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Decrease MAX_BACKENDS to 2^16
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2014-04-26 11:20:56 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > On 2014-04-26 11:52:44 +0100, Greg Stark wrote:
> >> But I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility
> >> that we'll reduce the overhead in the future with an eye to being able
> >> to do that. Is it that helpful that it's worth baking in more
> >> dependencies on that limitation?
>
> > What I think it's necessary for is at least:
>
> > * Move the buffer content lock inline into to the buffer descriptor,
> >   while still fitting into one cacheline.
> > * lockless/atomic Pin/Unpin Buffer.
>
> TBH, that argument seems darn weak, not to mention probably applicable
> only to current-vintage Intel chips.

64 byte has been the cacheline size for more than a decade and it's not
just x86. ARM has also moved to it, as well as other architectures. And
even if it's 32 or 128bit - fitting datastructures to a power of 2 of
the cacheline size is still beneficial.
I don't think many datastructures in pg deserves attention to that, but
the buffer descriptors are one of the few. It's currently one of the top
#3 sources of cpu cache issues in pg.

> And you have not proven that
> narrowing the backend ID is necessary to either goal, even if we
> accepted that these goals were that important.

I am pretty sure there are other ways, but since the actual cost of that
restriction imo is just about zero, it seems like a quite sensible
solution.

> While I agree with you that it seems somewhat unlikely we'd ever get
> past 2^16 backends, these arguments are not nearly good enough to
> justify a hard-wired limitation.

Even if you include a lockless pin/unpin buffer? Besides the lwlock's
internal spinlock the buffer spinlocks are the hottest ones in PG by
far.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services