Re: Composite Datums containing toasted fields are a bad idea(?)

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Composite Datums containing toasted fields are a bad idea(?)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Merlin Moncure wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 10:40 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> > And too bad that infomask bits are so scarce :(. We really need to
> > reclaim HEAP_MOVED_OFF and HEAP_MOVED_IN.
>
> The only consequence of that is losing support for in-place update for
> pre-9.0 (of which the only supported version is 8.4).  I figure it's
> also pretty reasonable to drop support for IPU for out of support
> versions for new versions going forward.  That would recover the bits
> and yield some nice cleanups in tqual.c.

There's no way to be sure that the bits have been removed from tables
that were upgraded from a 8.4 server to a 9.0 server and from there to a
newer server.  We'd need some way to catalogue which tables have been
cleaned prior to an upgrade to a release that no longer accepts those
bits; pg_upgrade would then say "table xyz needs to be vacuumed before
the upgrade" in check mode, or something like that.

Сообщение: Re: Perfomance degradation 9.3 (vs 9.2) for FreeBSD
Сообщение: Re: Perfomance degradation 9.3 (vs 9.2) for FreeBSD