Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade & tablespaces

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [GENERAL] pg_upgrade & tablespaces
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 01:49:20PM -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 11:04:41PM -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > In the pgsql_old installation you have symlinks pointing back to the
> > > current default location. As well pg_tablespace points back to
> > > /usr/local/pgsql/data/ The issue is that there is not actually
> > > anything there in the way of a tablespace. So when pg_upgrade runs
> > > it tries to upgrade from /usr/local/pgsql/data/tblspc_dir to
> > > /usr/local/pgsql/data/tblspc_dir where the first directory either
> > > does not exist. or if the user went ahead and created the directory
> > > in the new installation, is empty. What is really wanted is to
> > > upgrade from /usr/local/pgsql_old/data/tblspc_dir to
> > > /usr/local/pgsql/data/tblspc_dir. Right now the only way that
> > > happens is with user intervention.
> >
> > Right, it points to _nothing_ in the _new_ cluster.  Perhaps the
> > simplest approach would be to check all the pg_tablespace locations to
> > see if they point at real directories.  If not, we would have to have
> > the user update pg_tablespace and the symlinks.  :-(  Actually, even in
> > 9.2+, those symlinks are going to point at the same "nothing".  That
> > would support checking the symlinks in all versions.
>
> I have developed the attached patch which checks all tablespaces to make
> sure the directories exist.  I plan to backpatch this.
>
> The reason we haven't seen this bug reported more frequently is that a
> _database_ defined in a non-existent tablespace directory already throws
> an backend error, so this check is only necessary where tables/indexes
> (not databases) are defined in non-existant tablespace directories.

Patch applied and backpatched to 9.3.  I beefed up the C comment to
explain how this can happen:
      Check that the tablespace path exists and is a directory.      Effectively, this is checking only for
tables/indexesin      non-existent tablespace directories.  Databases located      in non-existent tablespaces already
throwa backend error.      Non-existent tablespace directories can occur when a data directory      that contains user
tablespacesis moved as part of pg_upgrade      preparation and the symbolic links are not updated.

Thanks for the report and debugging.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +

Сообщение: Re: Verbose output of pg_dump not show schema name
Сообщение: Re: Verbose output of pg_dump not show schema name