Re: Signaling of waiting for a cleanup lock?

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Signaling of waiting for a cleanup lock?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2014-04-14 11:30:02 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> >> pg_stat_activity.waiting = true
>
> > Yes. That's what I suggested above. The patch for it is trivial, but:
> > Currently - I think - everything that sets waiting = true, also has
> > contents in pg_locks. Not sure if it will confuse users if that's not
> > the case anymore.
>
> I think it will.  This is a case where a quick and dirty hack is nothing
> but quick and dirty.

Well, it's still better than the current situation of waiting and not
signalling it to anything externally visible.

I think Robert's suggestion of an additional
waiting_on=lock,lwlock,bufferpin might be a realistic way forward.

> I wonder whether we should not try to fix this by making the process wait
> on a heavyweight lock, if it has to wait.  That would also get us out of
> the rather grotty business of using a special-purpose signal to wake it
> up.  However, there's still a visibility problem, in that there'd be no
> way to tell which other processes are blocking it (which is the thing
> you *really* want to know).

That'd be neat, but I am not really sure how? Which lock would we be
waiting on? I don't really see heavyweight locks scaling up to buffer
pins?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services