Re: Signaling of waiting for a cleanup lock?

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Signaling of waiting for a cleanup lock?
Дата
Re: Signaling of waiting for a cleanup lock?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2014-04-14 15:45:45 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On 13 April 2014 16:44, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> >> That seems like a pretty good idea to me.
> >
> > What I am not sure about is how... It's trivial to set
> > pg_stat_activity.waiting = true, but without a corresponding description
> > what the backend is waiting for it's not exactly obvious what's
> > happening. I think that's better than nothing, but maybe somebody has a
> > glorious better idea.
>
> pg_stat_activity.waiting = true

Yes. That's what I suggested above. The patch for it is trivial, but:
Currently - I think - everything that sets waiting = true, also has
contents in pg_locks. Not sure if it will confuse users if that's not
the case anymore.

> Easy to set the ps message also

That actually makes it considerably more expensive since we'd need to
save the old string somewhere. I am not sure it will be relevant, but
it's not as easy a sell as just setting a single boolean.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services