Re: Pending 9.4 patches

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Pending 9.4 patches
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Tom Lane (tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us) wrote:
> Craig Ringer <craig@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > On 04/05/2014 03:57 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> >> r04) Row-security based on Updatable security barrier views
> >> This one's fate seems to be hard to judge without c07.
>
> > Open issues remain with this patch, and resources for working on it in
> > 9.4 have run out.
>
> > It is not ready for commit. A core bugfix with locking in security
> > barrier views is required before the regression tests can be fixed up
> > properly, for one thing. Tom also expressed concerns about how plan
> > invalidation works, though it's not yet clear whether that was just
> > miscommunication about how it works on my part or whether there's a
> > concrete problem there.
>
> > I'd really love to finish this off for 9.4, but other projects have to
> > come first.
>
> Given that, I think we should go ahead and mark this one Returned With
> Feedback.  It's past time to be punting anything that doesn't have a
> serious chance of getting committed for 9.4.

I'm a bit confused on this point- is the only issue the *preexisting*
bug with security barrier views?  I agree we need to fix that, but I'd
really like to see that fixed and backpatched to address the risk in
back-branches.  I had understood there to be *other* issues with this,
which is why I hadn't spent time on it.

Craig, in general, I'd argue that a pre-existing bug isn't a reason that
a patch isn't ready for commit.  The bug may need to be fixed before the
patch goes in, but saying a patch isn't ready implied, to me at least,
issues with the *patch*, which it sounds like isn't the case here.
Thanks,
    Stephen