Pending 9.4 patches

От Andres Freund
Тема Pending 9.4 patches
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I today tried to cleanup the state of the pending patches a bit. I hope
I haven't bloodied too many toes.

Here's a summary of all patches that aren't either committed, returned
or rejected:

Pending patches waiting for committer are:
c01) Custom Scan APIs    This really seems to need Tom's attention.
c02) cache-only table scan    This unfortunately also seems to need Tom's attention.
c03) ALTER TABLE lock strength reduction    Simon should cleanup the cosmetic issues noticed by Noah and commit    it.
c04) Foreign table inheritance.    No idea. Too big to look.
c05) Widening application of indices.    Is this really ready? I am rather doubtful.
c06) Enable CREATE FOREIGN TABLE (... LIKE ... )    I *personally* don't like some parts of the approach, but a
committer   should decide. My concerns are more around aestetics and    maintainability than any "real" problems.

c07) Updatable security barrier views.    This needs a serious look by a committer.
c08) Bugfix for timeout in LDAP connection parameter resolution.    Looks pretty straightforward to me.
c09) Problem with displaying "wide" tables in psql    Not really sure. I wonder if there are situations where the new
output will be more confusing than the old.

c10) PostgreSQL fails to start on Windows if it crashes after tablespace    creation    Looks good to me, trivial code
formattingissue.

c11) pg_ctl fails with config-only directory    Not a big fan, but I don't have a better idea.
c12) pg_ctl always uses the same event source    I personally think this is pointless complication. But I am also not a
windowsperson.

c12) "pg_ctl stop" times out when it should respond quickly
c13) PostgreSQL Service on Windows does not start if data directory given is relative path    I unfortunately couldn't
convincemyself to care enough to have an    opinion on these.

The complicated patches that seem to need serious committer time are:
c07, c01, c02, c04, c05.

My feeling is that 01 and 02 came in pretty darn late in their current
form to be fully considered for 9.4, independent of their state. 07
seems to be somewhat large this late, but there really hasn't been much
change recently.

Pending patches waiting for review are:
r01) Inverse Aggregate Transition Functions    There's some argument about whether a already useful subset should    be
committedin 9.4 or whether everything should be in 9.5. The 9.4    thing doesn't seem to be too far away from being
ready.
r02) Using indices for UNION    Tom seems to be looking at atm. Not that big.
r03) Optimization in regexp handling in pg_trgm    Unsure whether the complications are worth the gains.
r04) Row-security based on Updatable security barrier views    This one's fate seems to be hard to judge without c07.
r05) WAL rate limiting    I don't think we can get concensus on this for 9.4, thus it    probably should be returned
withfeedback.

r06) Add min, max, and stdev execute statement time in pg_stat_statement    The discussion here seems to have stalled
onthe questions which    additional columns should be added. Doesn't look too hard to make    committable once
agreementhas been reached.

r07) ECPG cursor readahead    I have no friggin idea.
r08) vacuumdb: Add option --analyze-in-stages    Should imo be committed after some absolutely minor cleanup.
r09) transforms    It's a bit sad to see so this patch limping along for more than a    year now. But it still doesn't
seemto be ready :(. Peter wrote    more than two months back that he wants to make another pass after    a couple
nightsof sleep. I'll have a look so there's some    progress, but I don't think it's 9.4 material at this point.

r10) PL/pgSQL Warnings - plpgsql.warn_shadow    I haven't followed, and the thread is too long.
r11) extension_control_path    Minefield.
r12) Create function prototype as part of PG_FUNCTION_INFO_V1    Some potential issues, but it'd reduce the amount
extensionauthors    have to type.

r13) Correctly place DLLs for ECPG apps in bin folder    msvc issue, doesn't seem to be fully ready. Seems like a bug
worthy   of fixing tho.

r14) Issue with PGC_BACKEND parameters on Windows    Looks simple enough.
r15) multibyte messages are displayed incorrectly on the client    Seems like a bigger can of worms than its worth.
r16) tests for client programs    Should imo be committed after some simple cleanup.

The bigger things that might have a bearing for 9.4 seem to be: r01,
r04. Lots of the other stuff just need someone paying a bit of
attention.

Waiting for author:
w01) GiST support for inet datatypes    Needs a rebase as noticed today, apparently ready for committer    otherwise.
w02) variant of regclass etc.    Robert noticed some issues today when he wanted to commit.

I hope that we can prune this list to the patches that we think have a
chance for 9.4, so we can avoid delaying the feature freeze. The CF is
officially closed, so the rest really should be returned/moved.

Comments?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

--Andres Freund                       http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/PostgreSQL Development, 24x7 Support, Training &