Re: quiet inline configure check misses a step for clang

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: quiet inline configure check misses a step for clang
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2014-04-03 09:43:20 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > The current quiet inline test doesn't work for clang. As e.g. evidenced in
> > http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_stage_log.pl?nm=gull&dt=2014-04-03%2007%3A49%3A26&stg=configure
> > configure thinks it's not quiet.
>
> > Which means that postgres compiled with a recent clang will be noticably
> > slower than it needs to be.
>
> > The reason for that is that clang is smart and warns about static inline
> > if they are declared locally in the .c file, but not if they are
> > declared in a #included file.  That seems to be a reasonable
> > behaviour...
>
> > I think that needs to be fixed. We either can make the configure test
> > considerably more complex or simply drop the requirement for quiet
> > inline.
>
> I object to the latter; you're proposing to greatly increase the warning
> noise seen with any compiler that issues a warning for this without caring
> about .h vs .c.  For somebody who finds gcc -pedantic unusable, I would
> think you'd have a bit more sympathy for people using other compilers.

Yea, but which compilers are that? The only one in the buildfarm I could
find a couple weeks back was acc, and there's a flag we could add to the
relevant template that silences it. I also don't think that very old
platforms won't usually be used for active development, so a louder
build there doesn't really have the same impact as noisy builds for
actively developed on platforms.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services