Re: BUG #9472: pg_dumpall fails with "unrecognized node type: 650"

От Noah Misch
Тема Re: BUG #9472: pg_dumpall fails with "unrecognized node type: 650"
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 10:25:39AM +0100, Weiss, Wilfried wrote:
> I found the reason for this issue.
>
> Originally I compiled pg 9.2.2 using gcc and everything worked fine.
> Then I compiled it again using xlc and restarted the engine without unloading and recreating the database.
> It seems that are major differences even though it was the same software level.

PostgreSQL stores facts in its control file sufficient to identify all known
variations of the on-disk binary format.  Recompiling the same version with a
different compiler rarely requires a dump/reload, because compilers for the
same hardware often share a C language ABI.  When that's not so, PostgreSQL
endeavors to emit an message explaining the incompatibility and refuse to
start against the incompatible data files.  Failing to detect a
compiler-induced variation in the on-disk format would be a bug.

> Unfortunately this issue is so exotic that probably no one else can take advantage out of my experience.

If this a reproducible problem for a particular compiler, it's worth fixing.

The PostgreSQL buildfarm currently has no active members running AIX or xlc.
If you're in a position to have a machine perform automated PostgreSQL test
runs, that would greatly increase the chance that PostgreSQL will work out of
the box on your configuration.  More information:

http://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/register-form.pl

Thanks,
nm

--