Re: pg_ctl status with nonexistent data directory

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_ctl status with nonexistent data directory
Дата
Re: pg_ctl status with nonexistent data directory  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar  6, 2014 at 09:54:57AM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > If they haven't passed us a data directory, we don't really know if the
> > server is running or not, so the patch just returns '1'.
>
> But for such cases, isn't the status 4 more appropriate?
> As per above link "4 program or service status is unknown"
>
> status 1 - "1 program is dead and /var/run pid file exists"
> Going by this definition, it seems status 1 means, someone
> has forcefully killed the server and pid file still remains.

Technically, you are right, but I tried a while ago to assign meaningful
values to all the exit locations and the community feedback I got was
that we didn't want that.  I don't see how specifying non-existant or
non-cluster directory would somehow be a case that would be special.

http://enterprisedb.com
 + Everyone has their own god. +