Re: GSoC proposal - "make an unlogged table logged"

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: GSoC proposal - "make an unlogged table logged"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2014-03-04 12:54:02 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 9:50 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > On 2014-03-04 09:47:08 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> > Can't that be solved by just creating the permanent relation in a new
> > relfilenode? That's equivalent to a rewrite, yes, but we need to do that
> > for anything but wal_level=minimal anyway.
>
> Yes, that would work.  I've tended to view optimizing away the
> relfilenode copy as an indispensable part of this work, but that might
> be wrongheaded.  It would certainly be a lot easier to make this
> happen if we didn't insist on that.

I think it'd already much better than today's situation, and it's a
required codepath for wal_level > logical anyway. So even if somebody
wants to make this work without the full copy for minimal, it'd still be
a required codepath. So I am perfectly ok with a patch just adding that.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services