Re: Patch: show relation and tuple infos of a lock to acquire

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Patch: show relation and tuple infos of a lock to acquire
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2014-02-28 20:55:20 +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 4:14 PM, Christian Kruse
> >> I wouldn't be inclined to dump the whole tuple under any
> >> circumstances.  That could be a lot more data than what you want
> >> dumped in your log.  The PK could already be somewhat unreasonably
> >> large, but the whole tuple could be a lot more unreasonably large.
> >
> > Well, as I already stated: we don't. I copied the behavior we use in
> > CHECK constraints (ExecBuildSlotValueDescription()).
>
> I think now more people are of opinion that displaying whole tuple is
> not useful. I believe it is good to go ahead by displaying just primary key
> for this case and move ahead.

The patch does not, and has never, printed the full tuple. What it does
is copying the behaviour of printing the tuple for check constraint
violations, which is truncating the tuple after a certain length.

I don't think changing this in an isolated manner to the primary key
would be a good idea. Let's use the same logic here, and if somebody
wants to argue for always using the primary key instead of a truncated
tuple, let them submit a separate patch.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services