Re: jsonb and nested hstore

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Peter Geoghegan (pg@heroku.com) wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 27, 2014 at 8:07 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg@heroku.com> wrote:
> > I'm not advocating authoring two extensions. I am tentatively
> > suggesting that we look at one extension for everything. That may well
> > be the least worst thing.
>
> (Not that it's clear that you imagined I was, but I note it all the same).

Thanks for that clarification- it was useful (for me anyway).  For my
2c, while I agree that it would work, I'd still rather see this get into
core for reasons mentioned elsewhere but which I'll echo here- JSON has
become the de-facto data interexchange format on a rather massive scale-
it's become what XML was trying to be, in many ways by being simpler.

While I agree that the comparison to FTS isn't entirely fair, I also
feel that we should still be considering adding new types to core and
not try to push everything out as extensions.  To add on to that- I feel
we still have a ways to go before our extension support will be really
*good* (which I certainly hope it to be some day) and I'd rather we not
force that on to the mobs of installations out there who will want
jsonb.
Thanks again,
    Stephen