Re: [pgsql-www] Milwaukee User Group

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: [pgsql-www] Milwaukee User Group
Дата
Re: [pgsql-www] Milwaukee User Group
Список pgsql-advocacy
John Graber escribió:

> So, I looked into "PUG" in Milwaukee.  We have a local user group for PHP
> of 319 members, created in 2009, that uses "PUG".
>
> I absolutely understand why "PUG" would be preferable to some folks.  And
> this being community driven, I will *_absolutely_* go with it if that's the
> consensus, now worries.  But as for myself, I'd really like to
> differentiate my merry band from other user groups in Milwaukee if
> possible.  :)
>
> Is anyone else willing to share some feedback?  Thanks!

As far as postgresql.org mailing lists are concerned, we typically
assign names that have "PUG" somewhere supposedly because it's an
acronym for "Postgres User Group".  We try to go for more-or-less formal
names using the city name and/or state two-letter code (for PUGs in the
USA); in the last few years this has been followed more or less
consistently, at least for US cities/states.  We have always made
exceptions, so I don't necessarily oppose to a name such as "BrewPUG"
but I'd need some other American to confirm that this name actually
makes sense, and somebody from some other part of the world that this
isn't too insane.

In this list
http://www.postgresql.org/list/group/6/
you can see the PUG name by hovering over each link.

BrewPUG doesn't sound so bad to me; at least it's not as bad as having
given the "spug" name to a group that didn't ever get off the ground.