Re: INTERVAL overflow detection is terribly broken

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: INTERVAL overflow detection is terribly broken
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 03:00:59PM +0200, Rok Kralj wrote:
> Hi, after studying ITERVAL and having a long chat with RhoidumToad and
> StuckMojo on #postgresql, I am presenting you 3 bugs regarding INTERVAL.

OK, I am going to merge this with the previous report/patch which fixes:

    SELECT INTERVAL '2000000000 years';
    ERROR:    interval out of range
    LINE 1: SELECT INTERVAL '2000000000 years';

and

    SELECT INTERVAL '2000000000-3 years';
    ERROR:  interval field value out of range: "2000000000-3 years"
    LINE 1: SELECT INTERVAL '2000000000-3 years';

> As far as I understand, the Interval struct (binary internal representation)
> consists of:
>
> int32 months
> int32 days
> int64 microseconds
>
> 1. OUTPUT ERRORS: Since 2^63 microseconds equals 2,562,047,788 > 2^31 hours,
> the overflow in pg_tm when displaying the value causes overflow. The value of
> Interval struct is actually correct, error happens only on displaying it.
>
> SELECT INTERVAL '2147483647 hours' + INTERVAL '5 hours'
> "-2147483644:00:00"

Fixed:

    SELECT INTERVAL '2147483647 hours' + INTERVAL '5 hours';
    ERROR:  interval out of range

> Even wireder:
>
> SELECT INTERVAL '2147483647 hours' + '1 hour'
> "--2147483648:00:00"

Fixed:

    SELECT INTERVAL '2147483647 hours' + '1 hour';
    ERROR:  interval out of range

> notice the double minus? Don't ask how I came across this two bugs.
>
> 2. OPERATION ERRORS: When summing two intervals, the user is not notified when
> overflow occurs:
>
> SELECT INT '2147483647' + INT '1'
> ERROR: integer out of range
>
> SELECT INTERVAL '2147483647 days' + INTERVAL '1 day'
> "-2147483648 days"
>
> This should be analogous.

Fixed:

    SELECT INTERVAL '2147483647 days' + INTERVAL '1 day';
    ERROR:  interval out of range

> 3. PARSER / INPUT ERRORS:
>
> This is perhaps the hardest one to explain, since this is an architectural
> flaw. You are checking the overflows when parsing string -> pg_tm struct.
> However, at this point, the parser doesn't know, that weeks and days are going
> to get combined, or years are going to get converted to months, for example.
>
> Unawarness of underlying Interval struct causes two types of suberrors:
>
> a) False positive
>
> SELECT INTERVAL '2147483648 microseconds'
> ERROR:  interval field value out of range: "2147483648 microseconds"
>
> This is not right. Microseconds are internally stored as 64 bit signed integer.
> The catch is: this amount of microseconds is representable in Interval data
> structure, this shouldn't be an error.

I don't see a way to fix this as we are testing too early to know what
type of value it is, as you stated.

> b) False negative
>
> SELECT INTERVAL '1000000000 years'
> "-73741824 years"
>
> We don't catch errors like this, because parser only checks for overflow in
> pg_tm. If overflow laters happens in Interval, we don't seem to care.

Fixed:

    SELECT INTERVAL '1000000000 years';
    ERROR:  interval out of range
    LINE 1: SELECT INTERVAL '1000000000 years';

> 4. POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS:
>
> a) Move the overflow checking just after the conversion of pg_tm -> Interval is
> made. This way, you can accurately predict if the result is really not
> store-able.
>
> b) Because of 1), you have to declare tm_hour as int64, if you want to use that
> for the output. But, why not use Interval struct for printing directly, without
> intermediate pg_tm?
>
> 5. Offtopic: Correct the documentation, INTERVAL data size is 16 bytes, not 12.

Fixed.

Patch attached.

  + Everyone has their own god. +

Вложения