Re: [review] libpq: Support TLSv1.1+ (was: fe-secure.c and SSL/TLS)

От Noah Misch
Тема Re: [review] libpq: Support TLSv1.1+ (was: fe-secure.c and SSL/TLS)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
[restored Cc: list]

On Thu, Jan 09, 2014 at 10:12:28PM -0800, Wim Lewis wrote:
> I applied both libpq.tls11plus.diff and the related
> psql.conninfo.tlsver.diff patch to postgresql git head.

psql.conninfo.tlsver.diff is not so essential for debugging purposes since
commit 4cba1f6bbf7c8f956c95e72c43e517a56b97665b, but it still seems like a
perfectly reasonable addition.

> Source review:
>
> The source changes are pretty tiny. Although I think the change
> from TLSv1_method to SSLv23_method is correct, the comment is not
> quite correct:
>
> > * SSLv23_method() is only method that negotiates
> > * higher protocol versions.  Rest of the methods
> > * allow only one specific TLS version.
>
> As I understand it (backed up by a quick glance through the openssl
> source), the TLSv1_method, TLSv1_1_method, and TLSv1_2_method will
> all advertise the corresponding protocol version to the peer, meaning
> that in practice they will negotiate *up to* that TLS version, but
> will still negotiate down to SSLv3. So, using TLSv1_2_method would
> give the right behavior when compiled against a recent openssl.
> However, someday when TLSv1.3 (or 2.0) appears, presumably the
> SSLv23_method will be extended to include it but TLSv1_2_method
> would have to be changed to TLSv1_3_method. Therefore using
> SSLv23_method and disabling older protocol versions with
> SSL_CTX_set_options() should have the desired behavior even in
> future versions. (And it doesn't require autoconf to probe the
> openssl version.)

With OpenSSL 1.0.1f, I see results consistent with the comment.  Using
TLSv1_1_method() gets a TLSv1.1 connection against a server capable of
TLSv1.2, and it fails against a server capable of no more than TLSv1.  The
patch's use of SSLv23_method() gets TLSv1.2 from the first server and TLSv1
from the second server.

> Testing:
>
> I built the patched postgresql against a handful of openssl versions:
> 1.0.1 (netbsd, x86-64, supports TLSv1.1); Git head aka 1.0.1f++
> (osx, x86-32, supports TLSv1.2), and 0.9.8y (osx, x86-32, supports
> TLSv1.0). They all built cleanly and passed 'make check'. I also
> built 'contrib' and installed the sslinfo extension. I connected
> between each pair of versions (with psql) and saw that the connection
> negotiated the highest protocol version supported by both ends and
> a corresponding ciphersuite. /conninfo and the sslinfo extension
> agreed on the protocol version and ciphersuite in use.
>
> Things I didn't test:
>
> Client certificates, restricted sets of ciphersuites, MITM
> protocol-downgrade attacks, non-x86 architectures, or 1.0.0* versions
> of openssl.

The level of testing you did made for an excellent review.  Thank you.

I've committed both patches.

--
Noah Misch
EnterpriseDB                                 http://www.enterprisedb.com