Re: Why do we let autovacuum give up?

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Why do we let autovacuum give up?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Claudio Freire escribió:

> If you ask me, I'd like autovac to know when not to run (or rather
> wait a bit, not forever), perhaps by checking load factors or some
> other tell-tale of an already-saturated I/O system.

We had a proposed design to tell autovac when not to run (or rather,
when to switch settings very high so that in practice it'd never run).
At some point somebody said "but we can just change autovacuum=off in
postgresql.conf via crontab when the high load period starts, and turn
it back on afterwards" --- and that was the end of it.