Re: Custom collations, collation modifiers (eg case-insensitive)

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Custom collations, collation modifiers (eg case-insensitive)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Craig Ringer wrote:

> (I intensely dislike the idea of ignoring accents, but it's something
> some people appear to need/want, and is supported by other vendors).

FWIW at least in spanish, users always want to search for entries
ignoring accents.  Nowadays I think most turn to unaccent(), but before
that was written people resorted to calling transform() on both the
stored data and the user-entered query, so that all pertinent matches
would be found.  People would even create indexes on the unaccented data
to speed this up.  It's an important feature, not a corner case by any
means.

Not sure about other languages.  For instance perhaps in French they
would be interested in ignoring some accents but not others.