Re: Why conf.d should be default, and auto.conf and recovery.conf should be in it

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Why conf.d should be default, and auto.conf and recovery.conf should be in it
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
* Andres Freund (andres@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> Given that the majority didn't seem to be convinced by this and that the
> feature was written differently this isn't a convincing argument for the
> location of the file given the current feature, no?

I'll start by pointing out that the only reason this ALTER SYSTEM thing
exists is because there are options that we can't set in the catalogs.

Now, I can't claim to conjecture on what the majority opinion is when it
disagreed with my own.  I remain of the opinion that having settings
which admins are familiar with being overridden by some file in the data
directory is going to cause confusion and problems.  Therefore, I feel
that the 'auto' file should be where postgresql.conf lives because
admins will at least have some hope of finding it there (and then
realizing they need to disable that functionality and lock down the
postgresql.conf permissions to be root-owned...).

Having the log files be sufficiently detailed to help an admin is better
than nothing, but it certainly won't be as good as having the config
files in the same directory when the admin is trying to figure out why
the cluster won't start any more.
Thanks,
    Stephen