Re: Changeset Extraction Interfaces

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: Changeset Extraction Interfaces
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2013-12-12 16:49:33 +0100, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2013-12-12 10:01:21 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> > On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 7:04 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > > As far as I have been thinking of, this would be another catalog table like
> > > pg_decoding_plugin(oid, dpname name, dpload regproc).
> >
> > Instead of adding another catalog table, I think we should just define
> > a new type.  Again, please look at the way that foreign data wrappers
> > do this:
>
> I don't really see what the usage of a special type has to do with this,
> but I think that's besides your main point. What you're saying is that
> the output plugin is just defined by a function name, possibly schema
> prefixed. That has an elegance to it. +1

Ok, so I've implemented this, but I am not so sure it's sufficient,
there's some issue:
Currently a logical replication slot has a plugin assigned, previously
that has just been identified by the basename of a .so. But with the
above proposal the identifier is pointing to a function, currently via
its oid. But what happens if somebody drops or recreates the function?
We can't make pg_depend entries or anything since that won't work on a
standby.
Earlier, if somebody removed the .so we'd just error out, but pg's
dependency tracking always only mattered to things inside the catalogs.

I see the following possible solutions for this:

1) accept that fact, and throw an error if the function doesn't exist
anymore, or has an unsuitable signature. We can check the return type of
output_plugin_callbacks, so that's a pretty specific test.

2) Create a pg_output_plugin catalog and prevent DROP OUTPUT PLUGIN (or
similar) when there's a slot defined. But how'd that work if the slot is
only defined on standbys? We could have the redo routine block and/or
kill the slot if necessary?

3) Don't assign a specific output plugin to a slot, but have it
specified everytime data is streamed, not just when a slot is
created. Currently that wouldn't be a problem, but I am afraid it will
constrict some future optimizations.

Good ideas?

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services

Сообщение: Re: Assertion failure in base backup code path
Сообщение: Re: Assertion failure in base backup code path