Re: preserving forensic information when we freeze

От Andres Freund
Тема Re: preserving forensic information when we freeze
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 2013-12-23 10:26:49 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 7:45 AM, Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> > I've spent some time yesterday hacking up a prototype for this. The
> > amount of effort seems reasonable, although the attached patch certainly
> > doesn't do all the neccessary things. The regression tests pass.
>
> Well, I'm all in favor of de-bloating pg_attribute, but I don't
> particularly like cooked_xmax.  Even if it were better-named
> (updatexid?), I'm still not sure I'd like it very much.  And I
> definitely think that getting rid of the pg_attribute entries ought to
> be a separate patch from adding any new system columns we want to
> have.

Yea, that was just a demo attribute, I am far from sure we should add
any. It was just important to me to test that we're easily able to do
so. I don't even think it's semantics are necessarily all that useful.

I think we should do this, independent from adding additional
attributes. The reduction of rows in pg_attribute is quite noticeable,
and I can't see us just dropping the old system columns.

> But TBH, I'm kind of enamored of the function-based approach at the
> moment.  It just seems a lot more flexible.  Adding a function is
> nearly free and we can add as many as we need doing whatever we want,
> and they can even go into contrib modules if we like it better that
> way.

Well, it really depends on the usecase. Reading
SELECT header.xmin, header.xmax
FROM sometable tbl,   pg_tuple_header(tbl.tableoid, tbl.ctid) header;
is surely harder to understand than
SELECT tbl.xmin, tbl.xmax
FROM sometable tbl;
and the latter is noticeably cheaper since we're not re-fetching the
tuple, especially when the tuple is the result of a more complicated
query including a seqscan, we might often need to re-fetch the tuple
from disk, thanks to the ringbuffer.

That really makes me less than convinced that the function based
approach is the right tool for everything.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

Services